Friday, November 12, 2010

Let it snow, Let it snow.... Make it stop!

We are officially freezing our fannies off in the Fort. I was scrap booking the other night, Tennison comes running in, "Mom it's snowing". He was so excited... I was not. To a mom this means winter coats, gloves, hats, mittens, boots, endless warm weather clothes... Are the jeans floods? Do you have any long sleeve shirts that fit? I don't want my kids looking like ragamuffins, but for the love of Pete, winter catches me off guard every year. Not prepared!! When it was 70 outside on Monday, who can really be ready for 20 degrees this morning?

I was happily not home yesterday for that first snowy day before school. Scott got the job of unearthing the winter gear. Luckily I'm an organized girl, he found everything and they all stayed warm. I unhappily got day #2. Like Colorado weather, it is sunny outside and it appears to be warm. I happen to know otherwise, it was in the low 20's when we got up. So when Reagan starts heading to the car in flip flops I had a decision to make... let it go or say something. Knowing this child can't kick a cold for nothin' I said something. I knew right away it wasn't going to be pretty - she had on skinny jeans, there are few shoes they go with. So her options were to put on boots, change or... at the last second I told her she could freeze in flip flops. She decided to change. In the car I asked if she was mad, "Yes. You usually let us freeze if we want. I look gross." Okey dokey. "Have a nice day!

Next child... from there we drop off Whitney for book club. Right after she frantically finishes the end of the chapter I get, "I should have brought shoes to change into from my boots." "I told you to grab your tennies." "No you didn't." Okey dokey. "Have a nice day!!"

Next child... as we're heading out he put on his favorite hat, looks in the mirror and says, "I don't want to go to school, I'm hot!" I see the rationale. "You're hot because it is 68 degrees in here and it is 20 outside, you'll be great out there." I won't bore you with more details... but he left the car telling me I was the meanest mom for making him put on his coat. He didn't get a, "have a nice day".

I earned a badge today - The Meanest Mom. I'll take it if it means they're warm and healthy.

There is one Kissel who loves the snow and can't get enough... that would be Moka. She jumps in the snow, makes some fly, chases that, and does it all again. She's the lucky one who doesn't even have to wear a coat!!

4 comments:

  1. stinking snow - its coming our way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one "mean mom" to another... Have a nice day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite line "You usually let us freeze if we want." hahahhaha

    I gave up with Travis early on. Mr. Shorts All Year Long.

    I LOVE Terriers!!! I'm SO EXCITED you got Moka. :) Dundee and Dunoon used to come in with all these snowballs on their chests. We called them Snow Metals. Dunoon had this great snow technique of holding his nose down and running like all get out. He looked just like a snow plow! :)

    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to say I REALLY MISS THE SNOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite line was also "You usually let us freeze if we want." Just reading about your morning dropping off the kids made me feel exhausted. I loved the part about Moca! Jack and Sofia love the snow.

    ReplyDelete