Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Artist

I'm convinced that part of my duties as assigned as a mom is to find things for my kids to do. Not just "things" to fill time, but activities they might get passionate for. In our culture it seems that when someone doesn't play a sport, what could they possibly be doing? As a non-athlete myself, I know there is plenty to do.

This fall Reagan decided to stop playing the viola in school. When we went to return the rental instrument I threw out the idea of the guitar. Now Reagan owns a guitar, is taking lessons and having fun doing something she wants to do, not has to do. She has also been asking about art lessons, she's speaking my language. Talk about a part time job... the time it took to find guitar lessons from a woman, and now art classes? But let me tell you about the pay off. Not only did she get to paint, I got to do it with her. That was my paycheck for the work of finding the class... time spent with my daughter.

~ Week 1, Landscape ~

Reagan's bridge in acrylics.
We drew out the bridge and did the buildings freehand.

Mine...

ours, side by side.

~Week 2, Seascape ~

We were so surprised at the layering that goes into acrylics.
You start with a canvas, paint an entire background color,
then start layering the details.

Making it look like a crashing wave? You're kidding me.

~Week 3, Floral ~

Miss Reagan

Moi

Together again!

~ Week 4, The grand finale, Still Life ~

Thank goodness we talked our teacher into taking
out the plate and pitcher for this painting.
This was tricky enough.

 We now know why it cost so much to buy a painting from a true artist,
so much work and heart go into each painting.


What a great month of art. We learned a lot, laughed a lot, and got frustrated a lot. I was thrilled to make a memory like this with Reagan.

I highly recommend taking an art class with your kids. This wasn't a parent and child class, but they're out there. Have fun and get artsy!!




1 comment: