Saturday, October 1, 2011

Grandparent's Day

Every September we celebrate Grandparent's Day. This year the Fort Collins Senior Center put on a big afternoon of fun. We sent the kids with some money and they "took" Nana and Grandpa to have some fun. We got to see pictures of Tennison and Reagan in those giant velcro outfits throwing themselves up on a velcro wall. Reagan would be quick to tell you that long hair gets caught in the velcro, not so fun. They played Bingo, ate sno-cones, rode on a carriage ride, and made some great memories.

Later that evening my parents came back to our house for dinner on the patio. I made a new recipe, Capellini al forno. Wow!! It was tasty cheesey, pasta, goodness. It's a Giada recipe... and here is the picture:
Photo: Capellini al Forno Recipe
Picture of Capellini al Forno Recipe
The picture from her site, not my creation.
 
Once we were fat and happy, we decided to ask the Granparentals some get-to-know-you kinds of questions. It was fun for the kids to take turns asking them different questions. We learned Grandpa Skip always wore Levi's with the red tag, otherwise you weren't cool. We heard the names of all of Nana's best girlfriends growing up. They also learned why those chose to name me Kristina (and not Karen).
 
Then we had dessert. Food, I just love food and the memories it makes. One dessert I love is canolis. However, to make a homemade canoli would be a lot of work. I found a great recipe in my Food Network magazine, Bob's Cone-oli's... They use sugar cones instead of pastry shells. GENIUS!
 

 Are they pretty or what? I was so impressed with myself I had to take pictures.
Those are mini-chocolate chips and pistachios on top.

They were a hit for sure.
Except for Tennison who just couldn't figure out why I'd serve him an ice cream cone without ice cream. He didn't really get into it at all.

I'm not sure what this was all about... but aren't grandparents grand?


I know not everyone has grandparents that live close by. I didn't as a kid, but somehow my parents made it possible to know them well. With grandparents close we try to make the most of our time and hope the kids know them even better than we knew our own grandparents. The get-to-know-you questions were online at iMom, so maybe the next time you go visit your parents, take the questions with you and make time to get to know them even better.

 
 

1 comment: