Saturday, August 20, 2011

Not Your Momma's Pea Salad

It is no secret that I love to cook. Tonight was a prime example of how I get about food and cooking... giddy. I decided to make a repeat recipe paired with a new one. The main course (repeat) was Hot Ham and Cheese Mini Sandwiches. Find the recipe at http://letsdishrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/01/mini-hot-ham-and-cheese-sandwiches.html A couple of notes about this dish:
  1. She calls for a stick of butter. Her heart must be clogged because even half a stick was too much.
  2. I use less Dijon than called for for the kids sake.
  3. I'm not sure what the difference is between party rolls and dinner rolls and why you'd need a dozen of one and 2 dozen of the other... but I'm here to say that the dinner rolls I bought (think Thanksgiving) would need to be 2 dozen to feed my family to full, 1 dozen if we had sides.
  4. Poppy seeds are unnecessary, garlic like you'd have on an everything bagel is supreme.

    That is the garlic I'm talking about, they are divine!
About that Pea Salad. I remember when I was little I would always ask my mom to make pea salad. I'm not sure what it was, but I loved that stuff. It was a layered salad: iceberg lettuce, mayo, parm shaken from a canister, peas, onion, bacon, more parm. It was heaven in a clear bowl so you could see the lovely layering. Every time I'd ask my mom to  make it she couldn't find the recipe. I'd have to call Mrs. Grieve and hope her phone wasn't busy so she could re-read me the recipe for the thousandth time. Good times, good times.

Today I made Pea, Feta and Crispy Prosciutto Salad to pair with the sands. This is not your momma's pea salad, it is the pea salad of 2011. I found it in my Real Simple magazine, and it is real simple. You can find it at: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/pea-feta-prosciutto-salad-00000000054468/index.htmld  This upscale version doesn't even shake a can of parm.


Yum!! My kids loved it!

When I say upscale I mean no bacon, no mayo, no can o' parm, instead Prosciutto, feta and scallions! Don't tell Mrs. Grieve, she'd pass out.

     

1 comment:

  1. i remember the lettuce/pea/mayo salad - we called it death salad when I was a kid because my mom would make it to take to families who had a death in the family and always make one for us to eat at dinner that night as well. so funny!

    ReplyDelete